Have you ever had unpleasant feeling of anxiety regarding your loved ones while being away from home?
How they are? What’s happening? Is there a way to provide quick assistance if something goes wrong?
All these questions take away the peace of mind of rapidly increasing number of people on this planet who, by various reasons, have to live away from parents and grandparents working in different cities, countries and continents.
If you search for practical solutions to monitor health and activities of people living at homes alone like elderly or people with a variety of health problems, it typically would lead to the solutions called Ambient Assisted Living (AAL), Remote patient monitoring, Telemedicine, Telecare, Telehealth, etc.
There is increasing progress in the availability of more advanced wearables and various sensors that collect specific information (pulse, steps, fall, sleep, blood pressure, etc) and transmit it to mobile phone apps or special cloud analytics software to present charts, analytics regarding these measurements and relevant recommendations.
Becoming a common trend, these solutions lead to significant change in approach to AAL by providing real time remote diagnostics based on continuous measurement of data streams that reflect the reality and allow various analytics.
However the experiments and practical applications in many countries revealed several major drawbacks that hinder wide use of these digital technology solutions by large number of potential customers. It includes as follows:
(1) Scale of monitoring: There is a magnitude of diverse heterogeneous real time data that needs to be monitored on the regular basis automatically and intelligently
(2) High costs: Adding up diverse hardware and software that work separately one from another being incompatible quickly brings up total costs of integrated solution for a personal use to its extremes
(3) Complexity: Many of these solutions are too complex but at the same time limited in its capacity to assist users and keep their relatives and caregivers updated in an intelligent and easy way that minimises the overhead of continuous monitoring
(4) Lack of interactivity: The majority of various solutions are lack of personalised intelligent interactivity (voice conversations, video, images, animations) realised by automated AI driven communications with the target user groups that are very important for the people who live alone or have health issues.
1. Scale of monitoring: Can we monitor all these all the time?
No! We all are busy with a magnitude of various daily issues and do not have possibility to look into the monitor screen switching between different data and analytic charts all the time!
Caregivers probably can do it to some extend but the scale of monitoring of many people in reliable and timely way adds to the total costs while leaving the possible issues of quality of services depending on the provider and its location (area, country, etc).
Nowadays, both monitoring of such IoT data streams and its real time analysis shall be the tasks of the Artificial Intelligence (AI), Big Data and Advanced IoT software technology as it can and should
Mom is fine! (time, day)
Granddad has a problem! Based on <X,Y,Z> indicators, the trend may lead to "this and that" consequences! (Here are the links for details, explanations and optional action recommendations …)
And much more: In case the critical status is calculated, such system shall automatically contact the relevant predefined parties e.g. neighbors, relatives, caregivers and healthcare, to act immediately as there is no time to wait … It shall be able to get through to the predefined emergency contacts without fail and confirm the corrective actions undertaken.
2 & 3. Total costs of the solution and the complexity of its use
There are many pieces of existing hardware and software that need to be brought at home for AAL or remote health and well being monitoring. Most of it works now independently and rarely meet the interoperability requirements. Each device usually has separate, often proprietary, connectivity, controls and mobile apps that quickly brings up total costs and significantly complicate its use and maintenance especially by people in age. There is the utmost need to have it working together, minimise total costs of solution and making its use easy and simple as possble for a human in age or with health issues.
4. Personalised interactivity is natural for human beings. It is supported by voice conversation, exchange of comments and opinions and news, video messages and content, images, animations and is very important for the comfort and well being of the target user groups who live alone and/or have health issues. Its rich and high quality content can effectively help to cope with various negative effects of loneliness (physical and mental health, depression, suicide, cardiovascular disease and strokes, increased stress levels, etc).
AI-driven Personal Digital Virtual Twin
Our company develops novel AI-, Big Data-, IoT and Blockchain driven monitoring platform PharosN that allows making advanced virtual twin models of real world objects and linking such twins to the physical world processes by various sensors, IoT, mobiles and automated systems.
Based on these unique functionalities of PharosN IoT platform, we developed the first prototypes of the principally new solution “Personal eHealth Assistant” (PeHA) and were impressed with the first results:
PeHA is really capable to address these complex problems at the completely new holistic intelligent level providing the comprehensive integrated solution to address the needs of AAL and virtual care.
The main concepts and components of the prototype illustrated below are as follows:
The implementation status
The PeHA prototype is in the development and planned for release during Q2/2020. The initial minimum viable product will include as follows:
The PeHA solution will provide valuable medical advisory, alerts, reminders and home safety alerts, help in detection of fall and other home related living issues making us assured that our elderly or physically limited loved ones are doing well, even when we are not around. And they, as actual users, can feel more independent and less of a burden on other people, experiencing more convenience and comfort.
By the end of the prototype testing we will explore addtoinal investments options to scale up this busniess line including crowdfunding.
Does it sound interesting for you?
If yes, let us know to invite you as early adopter to try and experiment and advise us as co-creator, and benefit from the enhanced functionalities of the AAL solution that are tuned to your needs.
And we will inform you when the crowdfunding campaign begins. While leaving a message please write in the message subject "PEHA" to distinguish your message among many others we receive.
Peace of Mind is priceless.
Founder and CEO
1. Generic AAL ecosystem supported by PeHA
2. Physical ecosystem structure